Friday, March 06, 2009

Economy and Generosity

As I watch news reports of stock market losses, home foreclosures and business failures, a small resilient voice in me says, "God hasn't gone anywhere, lost any power, stopped being Love and stability and endless provision." And I know that we as God's ideas, his very likenesses, have similarly lost none of our spiritual power, creativity and intelligence.

So what's the problem?

Humans seem to be very easily influenced by fearful thoughts echoing round about them. Holding these fearful thoughts naturally tends to create the very circumstances that have been imagined. It's hard to break out of what amounts to a mass hypnotic vibration of fearful thinking.

Except if one knows to turn to a much more powerful thought, the eternal truth of our being alive in God, divine Love. "There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling" (Psalm 91). Knowing, feeling, and abiding in God's love is the surest way to a deeply nourishing and fruitful life.

So how to respond? Yes, by knowing these sustaining truths. And by humbly listening for the guidance that naturally comes as we align ourselves with these truths.

One clear thought I've had is to practice generosity - to be as generous with others as God is with me. I don't live in a mansion on earth, but I do have heavenly riches - and so does everyone. These riches are invisible, but they can be experienced in prayer, and they can be offered in love.

At the same time, I notice that my closet is bulging with clothes I've outgrown or no longer wear. Someone could use these clothes. I will give them away. My bookshelves are weighed down with wonderful books that are waiting for new readers. They can be offered with gratitude for the goodness in my life. Truly, there is no end to the good that can be shared, if we just know how to look.

With love,
Gail

Labels: