Sunday, July 08, 2007

Live Earthquake

I watched Live Earth on computer and later on TV. I was simply blown away by the event. Coming of age in the Sixties, I remember Woodstock, and though I wasn't there, the ripples of that event got the attention of my generation in the way Live Earth will speak to the generation that is now coming of age - across the globe.

It wasn't just the music, but the sheer magnitude of the day - with simultaneous concerts across the globe, the clear message of environmental urgency, the sheer cultural richness of it all, the huge stadium-filling crowds, the intimacy of the internet as I hopped via keyboard from continent to continent, savoring the crowds as much as the performances.

Sure there was trash and excess, same as any ballgame. But there was no violence. And lots of hope, lots of awareness of the common breath of humanity we all must share. I predict the ripples from this event will stir the next generation like nothing that has been seen before. You just have to know what you're looking at.

Gail

Labels: